MT. ST. HELENS RIM HIKE - INTERMEDIATE
Hike to the rim of Mt. St. Helens for outstanding vistas of the surrounding Cascades and peer into the crater that is several thousand feet directly beneath you. See the smoking dome and the log choked Spirit Lake. This hike is a once in a lifetime experience and provides you pride in your accomplishment as well as a lifetime memory.
Participants need to be in good physical hiking shape for this 9.4 mile roundtrip hike with 4,500 feet gain and loss. People should start training at least two months ahead with progressively longer hikes and more elevation gain. Van transportation, user permit and guide is included in price.
Equipment to bring includes: lunch, snacks, water (3 qt.), rain jacket and pants, hat, fleece jacket, warm hat, gloves, sunglasses, sun block, and lip protection.
Upon registration, you will receive additional information packet. No refunds unless a replacement is found.
Some excellent conditioning hikes include:
- Dog Mountain (6.1 mile RT, 2900 ft gain) WA side- Columbia River Hwy 14, ~8 miles east of Stevenson
- Saddle Mtn. (5.2 mile RT, 1620 ft. gain) on Hwy 26, 10 miles east of Seaside, OR
- Hamilton Mtn (7.6 mile RT, 2000 ft gain) WA side- Columbia River Hwy 14, 7 miles west of Bridge of Gods
- Mt. Defiance (11.8 miles RT, 4800 ft. gain, on OR-Hwy 84, 10 miles east of Cascade Locks
Literature (all by William Sullivan):
- 100 Hikes in Northwest Oregon (ISBN: 0961815280)
- 100 Hikes in the Central Oregon Cascades (ISBN: 0961815264)
- 100 Hikes/Travel Guide: Oregon Coast & Coast Range (ISBN: 096181523X)